Pet Owners Beware: Make Sure Never To Leave These Lying Around…

Pet Owners Beware: Make Sure Never To Leave These Lying Around… March 31, 2023Leave a comment

Those of you that have pets know that you would do anything to make sure your furbabies are loved and protected. You make sure that they’re collars aren’t too tight. You make sure all of your doors are closed shut so they don’t run outside. And you ensure that all of their favorite toys are safe to play with. One of the most dangerous things for pets is something that most people have in their home, and you won’t believe what it is.Her boyfriend, who arrived home 10 minutes earlier, met Christine at the door with devastating news. While they were gone, their dog Petey got a hold of a chip bag.

Petey had gotten his head stuck in the chip bag, and unfortunately, suffocated to death. “He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. Every time he would go for more, he would inhale — making the bag tighter and tighter around his head … ultimately resulting in suffocation,” said Christine.

Christine wrote on Facebook about the horrible incident.“One week ago I kissed my baby boy goodbye on my way out for work. I had no idea it would be for the last time. Although I still can’t even wrap my head around what happened, [we] feel we have an obligation to share what happened to Petey to hopefully prevent it from happening to any of your babies,” she wrote.

The president and chief medical officer of Preventative Vet, Dr. Jason Nicholas, says that it only takes between three to five minutes of an animal struggling with a bag for them to asphyxiate. “It can happen to any pet, regardless of their size, age or strength; and it can, and has, happened even when the pet owners are in the same home, maybe even in the next room over,” said Nicholas.

Dr. Nicholas recommends that people with pets should learn animal CPR, just in case this should ever happen to their pet. He also advises pet parents to cut the bottom of bags so if they get taken out of trash, they can’t cause harm to your animal.

It’s not just the chip bags, but any Ziploc and resealable bags, and others that are mylar-type or plastic bags that contain (or have contained) salty, fatty, sugary snacks and foods. Even the Pringle type containers can be dangerous.

“With this happening so often, we were so surprised by the lack of awareness on this topic out there. I was a very overprotective dog mama … I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners and give your fur babies some extra love today and every day after this,” said Christine.’

Leave a Reply