The natural reaction when we see a fire in the kitchen is to pour water to extinguish it; when it comes to grease fires, that’s the last thing you want to do. The Indiana Chapter of the International Association of Arson Investigators did a demonstration of how rapidly and dangerous grease fires are. Grease fire occurs when the cooking oil gets too hot. Smoke or a strong smell is the first warning to turn the heat down. Another option is to remove the pan or pot from the burner. Covering the pan with a metal lid can also help. Things to avoid doing are; pouring water, throwing flour, and trying to take the pot outside. It is critical to get out of the house quickly and safely if the fire is out of control and call 911 immediately. Watch this important video and share it with family and friends.
One cup of water being poured on a grease fire. 2015 #IAAI ITC Burn to Learn. Posted by Indiana Chapter of the IAAI on Wednesday, May 20, 2015